Is Christianity (and religion in general) just good psychology? I've been working with a psychologist this year as well as a personal coach to improve some aspects in my life. One thing that I'm finding is that Christianity offers some really solid psychological principles by which it works on. So if I take the God piece out of it, am I just left with a good psychology text book that was ahead of its time? Is this a validation that there is a God who knows what he's doing? Or were the bible writers just really observant and pre-cursors to the study of psychology?
One thing that I have been reading about is this whole concept of helplessness that is imparted onto us. When we are in this state, we become more depressed and easily give up because we know that we can't affect the outcome. I think for my part that this was the case. That there was a sense of hopelessness because there was a benevolent God out there who wouldn't look after me, so I learnt that no matter what I did that God would do what He wanted (bear in mind that this is my personal perception). This led to my feelings of helplessness. How can you just give over everything and put yourself to a God without a feeling of helplessness? How do other Christians cope with this? How can I balance this in my own life?
No comments:
Post a Comment